Reliable, Dedicated Representation

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Uncategorized
  4.  » What happens if I violate my probation in Texas?

What happens if I violate my probation in Texas?

On Behalf of | Mar 23, 2017 | Uncategorized

Being placed on probation for a criminal offense in Texas can be a highly desirable alternative to incarceration. Nevertheless, it can be extremely difficult to comply with the various terms and conditions of probation, which means many people wind up accused of probation violations.

You might think it is not a big deal to break one or two rules on probation, or that no one will know if you slip up. You might even think there are no real consequences for a probation violation. However, the truth is that law enforcement agents take probation violations very seriously, and you could be facing some harsh penalties if you violate the terms of your probation.

To begin with, you should know that once you violate probation — or are accused of violating your probation — a warning can be issued or you could be required to attend a court hearing. If a warrant is issued, police can arrest you and take you to jail.

If the courts determine you have violated probation, they can revoke or extend it. They can also add on conditions with which you must comply for the remainder of your probation.

A judge could also reinstate your original sentence and require you to serve any remaining period of probation in jail. Fines and restitution may be ordered or increased, and you may also have to attend rehabilitation or counseling.

Every case is different, as courts have broad discretion with the penalties they order. Further, factors like criminal history and the nature of your original offense and the violation will be taken into consideration and effect the resulting actions.

What we hope readers take away from this post is the understanding that probation violations are taken very seriously in Texas, and the penalties have the potential to be quite severe. Therefore, it is critical that you understand the terms of your probation and consult an attorney as soon as possible if you are accused of a violation.