Understanding Texas DWI Penalties
The penalties for a drunk driving conviction under Texas DWI law depend upon the person’s criminal record and the circumstances of the case. Factors such as multiple DWI charges within a limited number of years or driving drunk with a child in the car may increase DWI penalties significantly. Additional charges — reckless driving or driving with an opened container — may also increase the severity of the penalties.
Texas DWI penalties include:
- First offense: A first DWI offense is a Class B misdemeanor. Penalties may include anywhere from 72 hours to 180 days in jail, a fine of up to $2000 and a driver’s license suspension of 90 days to 1 year.
- Second offense: A second-time DWI offender faces anywhere from 30 days to 1 year in jail and a fine of up to $4000. In addition, your driver’s license may be suspended or revoked for anywhere from 180 days to 2 years
- Third offense and higher: A third DWI offense is a 3rd degree felony. People charged with their third DWI face 2-10 years in prison, a fine of up to $10,000 and driver’s license suspension of 180 days to 2 years. The more DWIs you receive, the longer the minimum prison sentence.
At the San Antonio, Texas, criminal defense Law Office of Anthony B. Cantrell, we strive to minimize these penalties by preparing a thorough and strong defense. We will carefully evaluate the case against you and find answers to all of the important questions, including: Was there probable cause for the stop? Did the arresting officer read you your rights? Was the breath test administered properly? We stand firm against the prosecution and will do everything we can to protect your rights and your freedom.
For more information about Texas DWI penalties, laws and procedure, please see:
If you or a loved one has been charged with a DWI in Texas, do not face the penalties alone. Contact a DWI attorney with more than 20 years of criminal defense experience — Anthony B. Cantrell. We offer a free initial consultation.
- Drug Crime Defense
- Cocaine & Heroin Charges
- Drug Possession Defense
- Drug Trafficking
- Ecstasy & Hallucinogen Charges
- Federal Drug Charges
- Illegal Drug Information
- Marijuana Charges
- Methamphetamine (Meth) Charges
- Possession With Intent To Distribute
- Prescription Drug Charges
- Drug Information – Cocaine
- Drug Information – Date Rape Drugs
- Drug Information – Ecstasy
- Drug Information – Hallucinogens
- Drug Information – Heroin
- Drug Information – Methamphetamine
- Defense Issues
- Federal Offenses
- Internet Crimes
- Juvenile Offenses
- Sex Crimes
- Traffic Violations
- Violent Crimes
- White Collar Crimes
- New Braunfels Area